Neuro Physiotherapy: What Is It And Can It Help Me?
Neurological physiotherapy – also known as neuro physiotherapy – is a highly effective treatment that can help people to improve their quality of life following diagnosis with a neurological condition. Here’s everything you need to know about neuro physiotherapy, to see if it could work for you.
What Conditions Does Neuro Physiotherapy Help With?
Neuro physiotherapy can help with the treatment of various conditions, including:
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
A neurological condition is a problem associated with the central nervous system. This can lead to a variety of issues including muscle stiffness or spasm, weakness of muscles, tremor and problems with sensation. In turn, these issues can lead to difficulties with everyday activities such as walking and eating.
A highly skilled neuro physiotherapist will put together a treatment plan to help patients to achieve their goals, which might be driving to visit family, taking up sport or returning to work.
How Does Neuro Physiotherapy Work?
Neuro physiotherapy involves many different exercises to help patients to restore motor function. These might include tapping, brushing, cryotherapy and passive stretching.
These exercises encourage a movement response, which helps patients to strengthen the muscles and nerves. This has a number of positive effects:
- Improving range of movement – this is important to aid recovery.
- Building muscle strength – it is not uncommon for people who have experienced a neurological condition to lose the use of a part of the body. This can lead to atrophy, where the muscle deteriorates. A physiotherapist will assist in a variety of exercises which aim to promote muscle growth and increase strength.
- Core stabilisation – this is vital for many activities, such as walking unaided.
- Motor control enhancement – weakened motor control can make life very difficult, and can lead to issues with everyday tasks such as getting dressed and eating.
- Balance training – often, when a person has a stroke or experiences a brain injury, they are unable to walk for a period of time. This can cause balance issues when they begin walking again.
Who Should See A Neuro Physiotherapist?
Neuro physiotherapy can help a wide range of people. For example:
- Pediatric – children who have suffered an injury or were born with a neurological condition can benefit.
- Geriatric – exercises that focus on balance and strength building can help us to avoid falls as we get older.
- General – this would include anyone who has experienced any other kind of neurological condition.
Where Can I Go To See A Neuro Physiotherapist?
When you book an appointment at Northwich Foot Clinic & Physio, our experienced physiotherapist will be able to identify areas for improvement and pinpoint these with specific exercises to maintain flexibility, strength and mobility. You can book an appointment online now. All of our prices are fixed and clear, and we will be delighted to help to improve your quality of life.