Everything You Need To Know About Paediatric Physiotherapy
Paediatric physiotherapy is the treatment of babies, children and teenagers up to the age of 16 for a range of musculoskeletal and neuro-orthopaedic conditions. Physiotherapists play a vital role in ensuring children with these conditions develop properly and participate in everyday activities. Paediatric physiotherapy can help children to learn successfully and independently perform gross motor skills.
How Is Paediatric Physiotherapy Different To Adult Physiotherapy?
Adult physiotherapists deal with a range of movement issues in adults, such as hamstring strains, knee and back pain and helping people to move again following surgery or a stroke. Paediatric physiotherapy, on the other hand, involves detailed knowledge of child development, particularly in relation to the development of movement.
Paediatric physiotherapists are experts in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of child development and movement difficulties.
Which Disorders Can Paediatric Physiotherapists Help With?
There are many movement disorders that paediatric physiotherapists can deal with, including helping:
- Babies and children who are slower to reach motor milestones
- Babies and children who are using unusual patterns to move
- Children who are having motor skills difficulties, such as jumping or ball skills
- Babies and children who are clumsy or uncoordinated
- Children with disabilities such as cerebral palsy, Down Syndrome and autism
- Children with conditions such as clubfoot, flat feet or overly flexible joints
- Children with rheumatological conditions
- Children requiring rehabilitation following an injury
This list is not exhaustive, and paediatric physiotherapy can help with many movement difficulties in children.
What Happens At A Paediatric Physiotherapy Appointment?
Paediatric physiotherapists are adept in dealing with children, so they feel comfortable and happy during the appointment. The physio will:
- Assess your child’s motor development, using a range of assessment techniques
- Identify what your child is having difficulty with, and why
- Develop a treatment programme
The treatment programme will be completely individual to your child’s needs, and may consist of stretching and strengthening activities and exercises, establishing or reshaping movement patterns, providing specialised orthotics and equipment and referral or liaison with other health professionals.
What Are The Benefits Of Paediatric Physiotherapy?
Early intervention is extremely beneficial for children, and physiotherapy can help to improve their range of movement, strength, balance, reflexes and posture. This improvement helps them as they grow and can help to avoid serious issues in the future.
Where Can I Find A Paediatric Physiotherapist?
At Northwich Foot Clinic & Physio, our physiotherapist Emma is a specialist in paediatric physiotherapy. She can help with a wide range of conditions, including cystic fibrosis and juvenile arthritis. We offer paediatric physiotherapy services to the people of Northwich, Cheshire and the North West of England.
In order to book your appointment, simply head to our online booking page and select the option you require. All of our prices are clear and upfront – there are no hidden costs.